Joseph P. Camunez, DDS
Dr. Joe Camunez was born into a Las Cruces pioneering family, attended Las Cruces Public Schools Grades 1 through 12, and graduated from New Mexico State University with a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Chemistry. After serving five years in the United States Air Force, Joe was honorably discharged as a Captain. He then attended the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry, graduating with a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree. While in dental school, he met his wife Aletha, who was pursuing a degree in Dental Hygiene. He returned to Las Cruces, with his wife as his dental hygienist, and opened his dental practice. Joe and Aletha have two daughters, Tracy and Kelly, a son-in-law, Travis and two grandchildren.
Dr. Camunez is a member of Psi Omega Dental fraternity and is a fellow of the Academy of General Dentistry. He has regularly attended the annual American Dental Association courses to pursue the latest in dental education and technology. He also enjoys attending many of the local and regional continuing education courses to keep pace with the latest dental innovations.
Dr. Camunez is a member of the following dental organizations:
• American Dental Association (ADA)
• Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) [Fellow]
• New Mexico Dental Association (NMDA)
• New Mexico Academy of General Dentistry (NMAGD)
• Southwest District Dental Society (SWDDS)
• Dental Programs Advisory Committee for Dona Ana Community College
Dr. Camunez is a past member of the following organizations:
• New Mexico Board of Dental Healthcare (NMBDH)
• Hygiene committee of the New Mexico Board of Dental Healthcare
• Southwest District Academy of General Dentistry (SWDAGD)
• Western Regional Examining Board for Dentists (WREB)
• Western Regional Examining Board for Dental Hygienists (WREB)
Dr. Camunez is also a past officer of the following dental organizations:
• Vice-chairman, New Mexico Board of Dental Healthcare
• Chairman, New Mexico Board of Dental Healthcare
• President, Southwest District Academy of General Dentistry
• President, Oversight Committee for Dental programs at Dona Ana Community College
While serving on the New Mexico Board of Dental Healthcare, Dr. Camunez was selected to the prestigious Western Regional Examining Board where he examined candidates for Dental Licensure and for Dental Hygiene Licensure in several states in the country.
In 1995, Dr. Camunez informed the Dona Ana Community College administration that there was an acute shortage of Dental Hygienists, and was elected President of an Oversight Committee for Dental Programs. During his tenure on this committee, both a Dental Hygiene and a Dental Assisting program were established. He continues to serve on this committee, and has participated in providing clinical internships in his office for the Dental Assisting students.
Dr. Camunez enjoys providing dental care for the whole family, from children to senior citizens. Joe has a variety of hobbies which include early morning walks with his wife and two border collies, swimming, running, skiing, dancing, sailing, golfing, traveling, attending concerts and plays, and playing with his grandchildren.